Roof vents and attic vents are an extremely important component of your home. Their function is to create balanced air flow and ventilation in the attic. Without proper balance, problems can occur. The right number of roof and attic vents will extend the life of your roof and help prevent expensive repairs.
The Problems Resulting from Inadequate Roof and Attic Vents
* Air gets rapped in the attic with improper ventilation, creating an ideal environment for mold to grow. Mold can lead to serious health problems.
* Your air conditioning system will have to work harder. During the summer, the temperature in your attic can reach 150 degrees Fahrenheit. This forces your air conditioner to work harder to keep your home cool. This wastes of energy and results in higher energy bills.
* The hot air can bake the underside of your roofing and shingles, causing them to warp or crack, shortening their lifespan.
* During the winter, the warm, moist air from your heating system gets trapped in the attic. This causes snow on the roof to melt. When the outside air temperature drops, the melted snow freezes into ice and causes ice dams. Ice dams often lead to roof leaks and shingle damage.
Types of Vents: Intake Vents and Exhaust Vents
There are two types of attic and roof vents: intake vents and exhaust vents. Intake vents are those placed along the soffit (the area under the overhang). Intake vents allow fresh air into the attic. Exhaust vents are installed in the upper third of the roof to allow the air in the attic to escape.
There are three types of intake vents used for residential roofing: gable, static and soffit. Each vent provides a different form of ventilation and is important to the overall functioning of your roof.
1. Gable - These vents are installed in the gable wall located right below the peak of the roof. Gable vents help heat escape during the summer and they prevent condensation during the winter. There are many decorative gable vents on the market, available in different shapes and colors.
2. Static - Also known as louvers, static roof vents are covered openings on the roof. They allow air to escape from the attic. Several static roof vents are required to properly ventilate the attic. They are installed near the top of the roof.
3. Soffit - Soffit vents are located under the eaves, right near the gutters.
There are two types of exhaust vents: static vents and power vents
1. Static Vents - These allow air to escape without power. Ridge vents are one type of static vents. They allow the most air to escape and are installed near the roof peak. Ridge vents are the most effective types of vents.
2. Power Ventilators - These vents remove air from the attic. Also known as turbine vents, they use the power of the wind to move the air in and out of the attic. They are installed along the face of the roof. When the wind blows, it spins the turbine, which draws air up and out of the attic.
Gutters need to be cleaned regularly. The most common type of debris found in gutters is leaves, small twigs and branches. Debris in gutters causes corrosion and could puncture your gutters. Sixty percent of gutter clogs are caused by debris located at the top of the gutters. Cleaning your gutters properly will help you avoid costly repairs and prevent water from seeping into your home. Overflowing gutters will eventually allow water to seep under the shingles on your roof and into your walls through ridge vents and windows. Plus, clogged gutters are heavy and could cause the gutters to loosen.
Gutter Cleaning Tools
Gutter cleaning tools can help facilitate a thorough cleaning of your gutters. There are many gutter cleaning tools on the market that you can purchase to help clean your gutters. Good-quality gutter cleaning tools can be purchased for under $100. If you don't want to spend the money on a specialized gutter cleaning tool, transform tools you already have into gutter cleaners. There are several tools that you probably have in your home that can easily double as a gutter cleaning tool. A trowel, garden spade or spatula makes a great gutter cleaning tool. If you are physically unable to clean your gutters, hire a professional gutter cleaning company to do it for you.
Gutter Cleaning: Four Easy Steps
1. Clean out the downspout debris. Begin at the bottom of the downspout. Use the trowel to scoop out debris.
2. Clean out the gutter debris. Carefully position and climb up a ladder. Scoop out debris with your hands. Alternatively, use a gutter cleaning tool as directed.
3. Clean out the gutter with a hose. Wash out each end of the gutter using a hose. For the best results, use a high pressured nozzle.
4. Clear additional debris. If the water is not flowing steadily through the gutters, then there is still debris that needs to be cleared. Gently use a plumber's snake to remove additional debris.
Additional Gutter Cleaning Tips:
* Follow proper safety precautions when using a ladder. Never place a ladder on ice. Place the ladder on a firm, level base. Avoid leaning an extension ladder against the gutter as it could dent or damage the gutter.
* Wear gloves to protect your hands. Gutters have sharp metal screws sticking out into their troughs.
* Wear safety glasses or goggles.
* Make sure that the downspouts are cleared before you start flushing the gutters with water.
* Rent, borrow or purchase a power washer to deep clean the gutters. If you clean the gutters a few times a year, you can avoid the need to power wash.
* Inspect the gutters for any damage.
If you run any type of manufacturing process, then having your equipment properly calibrated to the right standards is absolutely necessary. You can't afford to have your equipment create anything that isn't to standard.
If you do, you may end up with parts that don't fit, or products that won't work. Since laser measurement systems are the most accurate, this is where you will want to start when getting the services you need.
Optical alignment services are one of the most common processes for calibrating your equipment. Although highly specialized, this process is readily available. What's key is to get these services done on a regular basis.
If you want to purchase these services, then make sure you avoid making the following mistakes:
1. Don't work with anyone who isn't certified. This is a highly specialized service and because it, you need someone who knows how to do the job right. When shopping for these services, you'll want to make sure that you not only check their certification, but you also want to check their experience.
2. Don't wait until your equipment breaks before you use these types of services. It's absolutely crucial that you calibrate your equipment on a regular basis. If you don't, then it could cost you a lot more money in the long run, first because you'll have to pay for emergency services. Second because your equipment will make parts and products that don't meet your specifications.
3. You didn't check to make sure the company had the precision measurement services you need. It's absolutely critical that you find a company that offers the process you need. If they don't, you will have wasted your time with a company that can't help you. Make sure you know your equipment. Then you'll be able to get the job done right, as well as fast.
4. You didn't take the time to shop online. Let's face it, everyone does business on the internet these days, and if they don't, they're leaving money on the table. You will save yourself a lot of time by shopping online. This will allow you to compare services, as well as qualifications, and you won't have to talk to anyone until you have found the companies you want to consider.
Once you have found the right companies, then call them up. Ask them questions. Get all of your questions answered before you make a commitment.
5. You have no clue about what type of equipment you need to calibrate. It's difficult to get a quote, or to find the right calibration services if you don't know what the equipment is. This can be easily solved simply by having the make, model and any other relevant information necessary to get the most accurate information.
6. You didn't get a quote. A quote can save you a lot of money, so once you have selected the companies that offer what you need, ask them for quotes. This way you'll save a lot of money. If you don't like the company you're working with, you can always change, and the quotes you have on hand will allow you to select a new company much quicker.
Laser measurement systems, specifically optical alignment services are a specialized form of precision measurement that requires not just highly specialized equipment but also trained and certified technicians who can properly calibrate your equipment. It's important that you find these services before you need them and maintain your equipment on a regular basis. Otherwise, you could face problems in your industrial process.
Don't neglect this. It will save you time and money in the end.